6 Apr 2015

Easter garden veg pizza (with pdf recipe)



Goodness, my son eats a lot! I'm sure that won't surprise mothers of teenage boys or young men still living at home but, while my son's been away at Uni, it had temporarily slipped my mind how much cooking is entailed during a visit home. And the cost. He's very partial to pizza - usually the expensive shop bought ones - and manages to eat a whole 10" pizza in one sitting while I'm not fussed about pizza at all - it's all that claggy cooked cheese.  However, talk to me about veg pizza and I might be persuaded  - as with a recently discovered recipe.

This recipe may also be quite timely for anyone with a little bit of leftover lamb following an Easter roast but not quite enough for a Shepherd's Pie. (Spinach could be substituted for chard.)

Leafing through a Rachel Allen's 'Everyday Kitchen' for inspiration (it's due back at the library any day now), I came across an appealing recipe for Chard, Feta and Lamb pizza.  It caught my attention because, amazingly, I had all the ingredients to hand, either in the fridge or garden. How often does that happen!? (Less shopping time equals more gardening time.) I also had a couple of pizza bases in the freezer, having put some dough aside for these during my last bread making session.  I wasn't sure that my son would eat the chard pizza so first made him a tomato/cheese/bacon and mushroom combo before concentrating on making mine. 

A quick walk to the garden netted a basket of baby-ish chard leaves and spring onions (plus some broccoli for a stir fry later); a happy 15 minutes in the kitchen was spent cooking the veg and then topping the pizza, followed by a very satisfied 5 minutes eating it.  The leftover lamb and smell of toasted cumin seeds tempted my son to sample a slice - the verdict? Mmm, delicious! (as he snuck towards a second helping… )

Of course, if you have a few pizza bases in the freezer, this makes a brilliant 'Empty The Fridge' fun supper as everyone gets to choose their favourite toppings - even if that does include cheddar. ;)

If you fancy having a go at making this pizza, I've written up the recipe as a printable PDF - just click on this link.




Here are the videos for making dough (they may not work in the PDF recipe):
Great British Chefs make pizza dough
Richard Bertinet method of making and kneading dough (this is the one I use)

12 comments:

  1. Like you I've never been that fussed about pizza but I'm sure that this one is way better than any bought one. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious - I'm definitely partial to a veggie pizza. And I just burst out laughing when I read your comment about having all the ingredients in the fridge - I am more often than not in that boat, especially when it comes to recipes from a book or the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commercial pizzas in the UK are always disappointing. A REAL pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven though, that's something else! I once had a Brussels Sprout pizza in the USA, and it was surprisingly good (It had other stuff on it too, but I forget what.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! My son loves pizza and we have just had one for supper, yours looks so much nicer! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds and looks lovely, although I would just have the veg! I must admit to loving cheese though.... and am a huge fan of pizza! Oh my....yes....the chaps certainly can eat! I hope you had a lovely Easter.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, it looks absolutely delicious, it's always good when you find something you have all the ingredients for. Mine eat loads too, and they're still fairly small, except for the 11 year old. When they're home from school they don't seem to stop. I might try the pizza recipe later on this week, I have some odd green leafy things in the garden I could use. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made a pizza for ages maybe something that needs rectifying

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks good Caro. I'm quite partial to pizza - must be my Italian genes :) We used all the left over lamb in a bubble and squeak which was most tasty and which I often enjoy more than the roast dinner itself. I'm sure that that your son must be appreciating his mum's cooking whilst he is at home and that you are enjoying cooking for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pizza is a staple in our house - one of the few things my daughter likes.She doesn't venture much beyond tomato, cheese and maybe some olives as far as toppings go, but I like your idea of chard and feta... might well give it a try next time we have a pizza night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for veg pizza's! I'm a great fan of the zucchini, basil and mozzarella pizza. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks & sound lovely, my kind of pizza. How wonderful to be able to make it with pickings from the garden. Yes, these teenagers do eat an awful lot don't they? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love pizza - I would devour a whole one every week... until I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease. Gluten-free pizzas just aren't the same. Having said that, I do appreciate that this pizza recipe will be excellent and it has got me thinking about alternatives to usual gluten-free pizza bases. I think an idea is forming.... thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...